Most of those arrested were from lower ranks, the official added. Rotterdam has a large Turkish community and some 70% are said to have voted for Erdogan's AK party in the April election.

As the last remaining pockets of the military coup in Turkey were being squashed, flights were set to resume from Istanbul Atatürk Airport after hours on lockdown following the failed takeover by a faction of the military. "This government will only go when the people say so", he said.

"In particular, we urge all those in a position of authority to reassure Britons and other foreign nationals now visiting Turkey that they are safe, and will be allowed to return home without impediment at the earliest opportunity".

Turkey's Prime Minister Binali Yildirim addresses the media in Ankara, Turkey, in this June 27, 2016 file photo.

He reaffirmed full support of the government and people of Pakistan to the elected leadership and government and the people of Turkey.

"They bombed places I had departed right after I was gone", he said. "They probably thought we were still there". The armed forces have had a history of mounting coups to defend secularism, but have not seized power directly since 1980.

Facebook and Twitter were reportedly blocked in March after pictures from a deadly vehicle bombing spread on social media.

Since he was unable to appear on state television, Erdogan was forced to communicate with CNN Turk via mobile video linkup using FaceTime.

NTV quoted Yildirim as saying that a military coup attempt was under way "by part of the military". Erdogan chafes at USA support for Syrian Kurdish rebels, who have close ties to Kurdish guerrillas fighting in Turkey.

She said: "I was watching things from my terrace, watching the military vehicles on the Bosphorus Bridge and then these sonic booms started".

It says the Turkish people value democracy and "will not let a group of putschists take it away in a desperate attempt to restore military rule".

In an unprecedented show of unity, all four parties represented in parliament met to issue a joint declaration Saturday condemning the attempted coup against Erdogan's government.

Earlier, around 30 pro-coup soldiers had surrendered their weapons after being surrounded by armed police in Istanbul's central Taksim Square. "They have pointed the people's guns against the people", he said.

An official said special forces were now securing the complex.

After hours of chaos and violence unseen in decades, Erdogan ended uncertainty over his whereabouts and flew into Istanbul before dawn on Saturday.

It is unclear what, if any, involvement he has in the coup, although state news agency Anadolu reported that he is being held hostage by the military group behind the uprising.

Momentum turned against the coup plotters as the night wore on.

Images shared on social media showed fierce fighting breaking out on the streets of Istanbul and Ankara throughout the night.

An Associated Press reporter at the site of the massacre, Nice's famous Promenade des Anglais, said the boulevard was slowly coming back to life. Malaysia Airports, the operator of Sabiha Gokcen International Airport, Istanbul's second airport, said it would continue to process flights in and out of Turkey.

However, shortly after coup rumors began, a Turkish state television broadcaster read a statement saying members of the military had taken over the country and that the military was giving the orders.

The statement was made on behalf of the "Peace in the Nation" council, the announcer said.

By early Saturday, the putsch appeared to have fizzled, as police, soldiers and civilians loyal to the government confronted coup plotters.