KXIP vs KKR Live Score

Instead, such items must be in checked baggage.

Senior Trump administration officials said that starting Tuesday morning airlines flying directly to the United States from 10 airports in eight countries could allow only cellphones and smartphones in carry-on bags for US -bound flights.

US officials said the decision had nothing to do with Trump's efforts to impose a travel ban on citizens of six majority-Muslim nations. "Prohibited devices, which include -but not limited to- laptops, iPads, tablets and cameras, can be transported in the checked baggage only, whereas cellular phones and needed medical devices are excluded from the ban", it said.

According to BBC the United States and United Kingdom have implemented the ban on a different set of countries and when questioned about it, Theresa May's spokesman said: "we have each taken our own decision". The U.K. government instituted a similar ban; neither government's restrictions affect USA -based airlines. "The restrictions are in place due to evaluated intelligence and we think it's the right thing to do and the right places to do it to secure the safety of the traveling public", one USA official said, according to AFP. Nine airlines have been given until March 25 to ban any device bigger than a cellphone or smartphone from the cabin.

The source said that the intelligence was "substantiated" and "credible", ABC News reported. He added that there could be concern about inadequate passenger screening or even conspiracies involving insiders - airport or airline employees - in some countries.

The officials were not authorized to disclose the details of the ban ahead of a public announcement and they spoke on the condition of anonymity.

It said although the USA has instituted robust aviation security measures since 9/11, information indicates that terrorist groups' efforts to execute an attack against the aviation sector are intensifying given that such attacks provide an opportunity to cause mass casualties and inflict significant economic damage, as well as generate overwhelming media coverage.

In a statement on Tuesday, the US Department of Homeland Security said: "The US government is concerned about terrorists' ongoing interest in targeting commercial aviation, including transportation hubs over the past two years, as evidenced by the 2015 airliner downing in Egypt; the 2016 attempted airliner downing in Somalia; and the 2016 armed attacks against airports in Brussels and Istanbul".

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said that while the government hopes the measure is temporary, it will "keep it in place for as long as necessary".

U.S. lawmakers said they had been briefed over the weekend on the classified intelligence behind the ban, and the senior Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee said he backed it.

Some potentially affected said the ban was unfair.

U.S. authorities believe there is a threat from plots similar to an incident a year ago in Somalia, where a bomb hidden in a laptop blew a hole in the side of a plane although failed to down it, another source said. The change affects six British airlines, including British Airways and EasyJet, and eight foreign carriers. This restriction was placed in response to unspecified security threats.


COMMENTS