Fire authorities in Harrisburg stated that one victim had jumped off of a porch on the second-floor rooftop in order to escape the fire, which began before 8pm on Friday. Her death was ruled accidental. Hughes' father and a male teenager were treated for inhaling smoke and have been released from the hospital.
Enterline said family members in the home heard sizzling and crackling noises coming from the hoverboard shortly before it exploded into flames.
Hoverboard accidents are not uncommon and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission has previously issued a warning that certain devices "pose an unreasonable risk of fire to consumers".
Underwriters Laboratories, EXPLANATION, established a fire-safety standard for hoverboards that the CPSC has endorsed. They were told if these new guidelines were not followed, they would be subject to enforcement action and seizure of their products. The hoverboards were then found to be unsafe because of the tendency for them to ignite and burn. A spokesman told NBC that the commission had investigated more than 60 fires linked to the motorized boards since 2015. As with many fires associated with gadgets, defective batteries are often said to be the cause.
In Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, on Friday, a 3-year-old toddler died from a fire blamed on a recharging hoverboard.
Lt. Dennis DeVoe "was a leader in our department and the fire service as a whole", Enterline said.
A firefighter, Lt. Dennis DeVoe, was rushing to the station to respond to the alarm when his auto was hit by a woman who allegedly drove a stolen vehicle through a stop sign while under the influence. She is also alleged to have fled the scene of the collision.
The girl's family and the fire department both suffered a heartbreaking loss that night. The 19-year-old driver of the striking vehicle was arrested and charged with DUI, aggravated assault and related counts.