The search for Steve Stephens, the man accused of shooting a 74-year-old dead on Easter Sunday, ended Tuesday morning when he was found dead inside his auto in Erie, Pennsylvania.
During a press conference on Tuesday afternoon, Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams told reporters that Pennsylvania police had received a tip from someone who said they saw a white Ford Fusion, the auto police had said Stephens was driving, in a McDonald's parking lot.
Those beliefs were confirmed Tuesday around 11:10 a.m., when Pennsylvania State Police spotted Stephens' vehicle and attempted to pull him over.
One of Mr Godwin's daughters, Debbie Godwin, said she wished Stephens had been captured.
"What happened today is senseless", Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams said. "We would have liked to have brought Steve in peacefully and really talked to him about why this happened".
Steve Stephens, 37, had been the subject of a nationwide manhunt after he was accused of murdering 74-year-old Robert Godwin Sr on a street on Sunday, before fleeing in a auto and uploading a video of the murder to Facebook.
Video of the murder was posted on Facebook.
Stephens, who had no prior criminal record, was not suspected in any other killings, Cleveland officials said.
"I'm not happy he's dead at all, not at all. If you did it, you have to face your crime", she said.
He was found driving a white Ford Fusion near Buffalo Road and Downing Avenue in Erie, Pennsylvania, around 11:10 a.m., police said.
WICU reports that Stephens went to a McDonald's drive-thru and ordered chicken McNuggets and French fries.
It wasn't immediately clear where Stephens had been since the Sunday shooting in Cleveland, which killed a 74-year-old retired man.
The troopers gave chase for less than a mile before Stephens pulled over, Williams said.
The search for Stephens had spread to involve billboards across the country, and border authorities were on alert for the man, according to Cleveland.com.
An armor police vehicle drives through Fairmount park in Philadelphia, Monday, April 17, 2017.
As CNN notes, after the videos had already spread, a certain Ryan Godwin wrote on Twitter (to which the video had also spread), "Please please please stop retweeting that video and report anyone who has posted it!"
Facebook meanwhile has launched a major review of how it handles violent videos after the incident.
"This is something that should not have been shared around the world".
In the video, he alights from his auto and walks up to the old man walking home and told him to say his girlfriend's name.
Mr Godwin did not seem to recognise the name.