A 32 year old man from Huntsville, Alabama in the USA got electrocuted after going to sleep with an extension cord in his bed. When he woke up the following morning and rolled over, his metal dog tag necklace touched the charger head's exposed prongs, which had partly separated from the extension cord. The day got second and third-degree burns and was hospitalized.
Miraculously, he was able to pull the necklace away from his body, and he shouted for help from his family members. Standing up, Day said out loud, "Oh my God, I think I just got electrocuted".
He described it to The Washington Post as "the eeriest, darkest, most demonic thing you could ever experience". Before going to bed, Day would plug in his iPhone charger to the outlet near the nightstand and leave his phone on the bed over the night.
Like several people, Day too put his phone on charging overnight and slept off.
The man came out on TV with his story, in order to create awareness about the dangers of charging electronics in bed. When his adult niece came in, she saw smoke spewing from the extension cord and Day lying on the floor.
Day suffered severe injures as strips of skin and flesh were missing where the metal chain had scorched his neck.
"He is lucky to be alive", Benjamin Fail, a physician from Huntsville, Ala. I admit that I, occasionally, will put my phone on charge under my pillow instead of on my bedside table, but I also don't sleep wearing conductive items of clothing. However, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission warns that extension cords can be quite risky if not used carefully. "I mean, it's not worth it", Day added.
To protect yourself and your device, always use an official charger, says Rachel Rothman, Chief Technologist at the Good Housekeeping Institute.
While he recollected his miraculous survival, Day's friends on Facebook admitted sleeping with a charging phone at bedside.
Doctors said Day will likely have a full recovery.