South Korea is willing to put North's first intercontinental ballistic missile test aside and work together with the DPRK to ease heightening tensions and resume reuniting families who were separated by their war in the 1950s, according to Fox news. A senior ministry official, Suh Choo-suk, read the statement.
The last time the two Koreas held a military consultation was in 2014.
If the meeting is to take place as planned, it would be the first dialogue between the military authorities of the two sides in nearly three years; their previous meeting was held on October 15, 2014. Seoul began blaring anti-Pyongyang broadcasts and K-Pop songs via border loudspeakers, and Pyongyang responded with its own border broadcasts and launches of balloons carrying anti-South leaflets.
If the talks are held, they would be the first meeting of such kind since 2015, BBC reported.
It asked Pyongyang to respond via an inter-Korean hotline, which was cut off by the North previous year.
Numerous estimated 60,000 South Koreans that have signed up to participate in these sporadically held inter-Korean reunions are elderly and have had virtually no contact with relatives living in the repressive North where contact with the outside world is highly restricted.
The South's Red Cross delivered the offer of holding the talks on August 1 at the Peace House, a Panmunjom building controlled by the South. The Korean Red Cross asked its counterpart from the North to reply through the Panmunjom Red Cross office.
The United Nations Security Council is discussing a new set of sanctions against North Korea over its ICBM test.
Unveiling his peace vision in the German capital earlier this month, the South's liberal leader stressed the importance of dialogue to address the current situation, which he described as "highly unsafe". Meanwhile, Moon has said peace would require the complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
Moon suggested earlier this month hostile military activities at the border be ended on July 27, the anniversary of the 1953 armistice agreement that ended the Korean War.
South Korea's Defense Ministry made the offer on Monday morning, the first since Moon Jae-in became the South's president.
"We hope that both sides will move in a positive direction to create conditions for breaking the deadlock and resuming dialogue and talks", the spokesman stressed.
There was no immediate response from North Korea.
The US maintains nearly 29,000 military servicemen stationed in South Korea, claiming they act as deterrence against potential aggression from North Korea. As for participating members for the talks, the Korean Red Cross said three members from the South, including Secretary General of the Korean Red Cross Kim Geun-jong.