The decision by organizers of a major Swedish musical festival to cancel it next year because of sexual assaults at the event has intensified debates about whether the government has not acted more forcefully to avoid an anti-immigrant backlash.
"We have seen sexual assault at our and other festivals in recent years, and it is a huge social problem that affects every part of our society", read the statement. Speaking to the Guardian, police chief Martin Hedberg told cited "weak descriptions" of suspects that come in after the fact, leaving police with relatively little information in their investigations.
"I've had it", Folkert Koopmans - founder and CEO of FKP Scorpio, the German production company that runs Bråvalla - said in a statement.
Police have said that they have so far received 11 additional cases of sexual assault in relation to the festival, which took place over the weekend, despite organisers' claims they had worked to prevent such occurrences. The Chainsmokers, The Killers and Linkin Park were among headliners this year.
They also took to Twitter to share the news, and put up a press release on their website, which states, "Words can not describe how incredibly sad we are about this, and we most seriously regret and condemn this".
Last year, local media reported that five women were allegedly raped at the four-day festival, attended by thousands of people each year.
Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven weighed in during a news conference on Sunday, describing the crimes against the women as "disgusting". "We must stop this".