The money raised on the GoFundMe site will reportedly help pay for an independent autopsy.
Elijah Silvera went into anaphylactic shock on November 3 and was rushed to a Harlem Hospital, where he died.
The pre-kindergarten school is a nonprofit, federally-funded Head Start program geared to providing care and education to economically disadvantaged three and four-year-olds and their families, health officials said.
The facility has been shuttered and an investigation into the boy's death is ongoing, Christopher Miller, a spokesman for the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, told ABC News today. In an official statement to CBS New York, officials said they were "closing the Center for Family Services and continuing to aggressively investigate what happened and whether the facility could have done something differently to prevent this tragedy".
Elijah went into anaphylactic shock after he ate the sandwich last Friday (Saturday NZT), his family wrote online. Three-year-old Elijah Silvera, who had a documented severe allergy to dairy, was rushed to Harlem Hospital by his mother after school officials called her instead of emergency responders.
According to the GoFundMe page, Elijah's parents and his 5-year-old brother are struggling with coming to terms with his death. The toddler was taken to Harlem Hospital where he died, the website said.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the Administration for Children's Services (ACS) said, "Following this tragedy, ACS and DOHMH are actively investigating all aspects of this program". "That person should be really investigated".
The Health Department closed the school on Wednesday for inadequate supervision of a child and for failing to follow its own written safety plan, the report added. "I can't even share details because we don't know at this time".
The 7th Avenue Center for Family Services remained closed Thursday, but an unidentified man and woman were seen opening the gate, CBS2's Janelle Burrell reported.
There is no doubt in the family's minds that Elijah's death was preventable. No violations were cited.
"There were no red flags at the centre", Vargas said. The center where the incident happened has since been shut down. "I know that my daughter goes to this school, and if something happened to her, I would be over the moon upset".