KXIP vs KKR Live Score

A Texas man is recovering after he was bitten by a severed rattlesnake head.

Jennifer Sutcliffe, the victim's wife said that her husband was doing yard work near Corpus Christi when they found a four foot rattle snake. Sutcliffe says her husband quickly took his shovel and cut off the snake's head.

With six rattlesnake species native to Texas, not to mention all the state's copperheads, this may serve as an important cautionary tale for other homeowners who may be faced with a venomous snake on their property.

The excessive venom almost proved fatal for Milo, who had seizures, lost his vision and began to bleed internally on his trip to the hospital. So she met up with an ambulance and then a helicopter, which flew the 40-year-old to the hospital as his organs were already shutting down.

She said the first 24 hours were the worst. Doctors told Sutcliffe her husband might not make it, even after giving him vast amounts of anti-venom.

Mrs Sutcliffe said her husband needed 26 doses of antivenom, where a normal patient gets two to four doses.

Sutcliffe's husband is now in stable condition, but his kidney function is still weak. "He had to rip the snake's head off", Jennifer said".

If you are bitten, keep the wound below the heart, immobilize the area, wash the bite area with soap and water, and call 911.

"No, you don't want to do any of that", Halpert said.

There seems to be some dispute about exactly how long a beheaded snake can remain active. He was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he underwent 26 doses of antivenom.

If you thought cutting the head off a venomous snake made them safe to handle, think again.

It should go without saying, he said, but no one should be trying to pick up a rattlesnake, dead or alive.


COMMENTS