KXIP vs KKR Live Score

A Florida man who ate raw oysters has died after contracting an infection from Vibrio vulnificus bacteria, according to local health officials.

The man died on July 10 after eating at an unidentified restaurant in Sarasota County, according to the Florida Department of Health.

The man already had a few underlying health conditions, said a spokesperson of the Florida Health Department.

Infections are more likely between May and October when the water is warmer.

The bacteria, officially called vibrio vulnificus, is rare and naturally occurring in warm, brackish seawater, according to the Florida Department of Health. Nonetheless, it said that this is the first confirmed case and death of Vibrio vulnificus in Sarasota County this year. However, the department did not reveal the name of the restaurant.

His death came two days after he ate oysters containing the flesh-eating bacteria known as Vibrio vulnificus, which can be found in raw shellfish, according to news station WWSB.

Thoroughly cooking oysters, either by frying, stewing, or roasting eliminates harmful bacteria and viruses in the meat.

Vibrio illness symptoms may include diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, chills, fever, shock, skin lesions and breakdown and wound infections.

People with the preexisting medical condition have 80 times higher risk for Vibrio vulnificus bloodstream infections compared with healthy people.

Though sometimes labeled a "flesh-eating" bacteria, Vibrio vulnificus can not attack healthy skin, the Sun-Sentinel reported. You can get infected by eating raw shellfish, particularly oysters, or by exposing open wounds to seawater. But an infection can become more serious, leading to lethal in those with a compromised immune system, especially folks suffering from chronic liver disease. Manatee County has had one case of flesh eating bacteria so far in 2018, but no fatalities.

In Florida, the Vibrio vulnificus bacterium is present year-round and this year has already led to 16 cases of infection statewide, with three confirmed fatalities, report health officials.


COMMENTS