European antitrust regulators fined Google a record 4.34 billion euro ($5 billion) on Wednesday and ordered it to stop using its popular Android mobile operating system to block rivals, a ruling which the US tech company said it would appeal.
"I told you so! The European Union just slapped a Five Billion Dollar fine on one of our great companies, Google", Trump tweeted in reaction to the €4.34 billion (168 billion baht) penalty imposed on Google for abusing the dominance of its mobile operating system.
Margrethe Vestager, EU Antitrust Chief who is in charge of the competition policy, said that the USA tech giant has been unlawfully using Android's near-monopoly since 2011 to improve usage of its own search engine and browser and to strengthen its dominant position in general Internet search.
Mr Pichai said: "The free distribution of the Android platform, and of Google's suite of applications, is not only efficient for phone makers and operators-it's of huge benefit for developers and consumers".
The escalating trade conflict between the United States and EU surfaced in tense exchanges with North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies during Trump's European visit last week.
Google, on the other hand, claims that it has actually cultivated consumer choice instead of restricting it, and that it will appeal the ruling.
Google received a record €4.3-billion ($5-billion) antitrust fine from the European Union on Wednesday and was ordered to change the way it puts search and Web-browser apps onto Android mobile devices.
A third European Union case against Google, which has not yet concluded, involves its AdSense advertising service which is accused of blocking users from displaying search advertisements from Google's competitors.
Vestager said Google had shut out rivals by forcing major phone makers including South Korea's Samsung and China's Huawei to pre-install its search engine and Google Chrome browser, thereby freezing out rivals.
The EU gave Google 90 days to come up with remedies that could allow rival search apps and browsers onto more phones.
According to an exclusive report by Bloomberg, Google is secretly working on a new mobile operating system that will eventually replace the current Android OS.