Thursday on ESPN's "Get Up", host Mike Greenberg reported that the match will go down on Thanksgiving weekend at Shadow Creek Golf Course in - you guessed it - Las Vegas. Although Woods wouldn't confirm it, Mickelson did, so golf fans are excited about the prospect of watching two men that dominated the 2000s square off one-on-one for a $10 million purse.
Though the event has not yet been formally announced and, according to Greenberg, the date could either be Friday, Nov. 23 or Saturday, Nov. 24, the fact that they have settled on a location and weekend means the match is clearly more than just a pipe dream.
Steinberg made the comments at the Firestone Country Club, where Woods and Mickelson are playing in this week's WBC-Bridgestone Invitational and, interestingly, played a nine-hole practice round together Wednesday.
"We are still working on it", Woods said.
The broadcast event will offer a special feature, as the two can show off their trash-talk game, agreeing to wear microphones during the match. "No matter how much money you have, this amount will take both of us out of our comfort zone" Mickelson said.
Mickelson, 48, won the WGC-Mexico Championship in March, marking his first PGA Tour win in five years.
"It's a ridiculous amount of money", Mickelson said of the potential prize.
Their relationship, frosty in their primes, has thawed in recent years as age and life experiences have brought them closer. "We'll play for whatever makes him uncomfortable".
Many thought Mickelson and Woods were just joking, until both players confirmed they were in talks with TV channels and sponsors - and the much talked about event nearly happened last month.